SATA DOM as OS discs?

Thomas Plant

Mar 28, 2018
Hello,

installing Proxmox on SATA-DOMs is a valid option? I saw older threads where it was not recommended. I thought to use two SATA-DOMs in mirrored configuration, which are 64 GB in size and rated at 1 DWPD, shouldn't they be reliable enough only for the OS?

Regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
I am curious, which product do you have in mind?

The SATA-DOM Specs are in the attached screenshot. Do not know the brand of the DOMs. We buy from a known german company, do not know if I can post the name here. But they have the option to buy 'Proxmox' compatible hardware, which they have tested and approved.

Attachments

• 2020-06-04_10h26_44.png
    2020-06-04_10h26_44.png
    8 KB · Views: 83
Nice to see some SataDOM with some actual DWPD in the specs. Most don't have that and are usually on the cheaper side and therefore wear out quickly with the quite extensive logging that PVE does.

I cannot tell you if that will work reliably as I don't have any personal experience with it.
How long is the warranty on these? Since I don't see a TBW spec I would assume that disk is built to sustain at least 1 DWPD for the time of the warranty.

Warranty of the entire server is up to 3 years, depends how much we are willing to pay.
In the techspecs there is a line "Drive writes per day" for 5 years with 1 dwpd. Should be an indication that it should last longer than the normal warranty of the rest of the server, shouldn't it?

Last edited:
In the techspecs there is a line "Drive writes per day" for 5 years with 1 dwpd. Should be an indication that it should last longer than the normal warranty of the rest of the server, shouldn't it?
That does sound good. If you intend to use the server for only 3 years.

If you decide to use the SataDOM we would be glad if you could keep an eye on the wear out of them after a few months in production.
If there is a model that works fine, I am sure other users would like to know which one :)

never used, but seems SuperMicro has some with 1 DWPD. Would love to know the prices, since RW performances seems very low, at least for the "not top" models. Probably there are a lot of tuning to do on Proxmox, since is a "normal" GNU/Linux OS (and, for instances, swaps even if you have free ram).
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/SATADOM.cfm
Would love if Proxmox could provide a less I/O intensive optional configuration

The thing is, if you really have enterprise grade hardware, it does not matter. I've been running PVE on ZFS on 6 SSDs for 8 years (5 on PVE) and have minimal wearout (still 97% left, 62 TB written).

never used, but seems SuperMicro has some with 1 DWPD. Would love to know the prices, since RW performances seems very low, at least for the "not top" models. Probably there are a lot of tuning to do on Proxmox, since is a "normal" GNU/Linux OS (and, for instances, swaps even if you have free ram).
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/SATADOM.cfm
I've been running various Supermicro SATA-DOM's in several servers for several years and I have had several fail on me. Currently I'm running
a 3-Node cluster with dual SATA-DOM's in ZFS RAID1 in each node, and 2 nodes are unfortunately reporting issues after less than 12 months
of 24/7 operation.

In general, the issues have been read and write errors but I've also seen them to intermittently disappear and re-appear from the OS and
sometimes at reboot they no longer show up in BIOS. I love the form factor and the nimble size, but given my experiences, I find them a
bit expensive and very unreliable (they are around $80 where I live for the SSD-DM032-SMCMVN1). I will keep using them for lab and other
non-critical environments due to simplicity and size, but not for productions environments.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!