[SOLVED] SATA devices missing after update

Mr.Goodcat

Feb 8, 2020
Hello,

first of all let me thank you for the great work on proxmox! It's an awesome solution which has proven to be very useful:cool:

Unfortunately, recently I've run into an issue. After updating from v6.2 to v6.2-11 issues with a SATA controller have cropped up. Any drives (HDDs) connected to the onboard ASM1062 controller (2ports) don't show up, while the following error is given in dmesg:

Code:
[   11.352444] ata9: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[   21.352674] ata9: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[   56.352182] ata9: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[   56.354769] ata9: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
[   61.356532] ata9: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[   61.359106] ata9: reset failed, giving up
[   71.361020] ata10: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[   81.360667] ata10: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[  116.360516] ata10: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[  116.363033] ata10: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
[  121.364112] ata10: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
[  121.366565] ata10: reset failed, giving up

My setup:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700
  • Mainboard: Asrock X470D4U
  • SATA Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

Booting into older kernels (5.3.18-3-pve and 5.4.55-1-pve) doesn't help. Also, I tried switching cables, backplanes and drives from other vendors. Booting with "pcie_aspm=off" and/or "pci=nommconf" doesn't work either. However, when booting into Ubuntu 20.04LTS from USB, all devices show up as expected. Thus hardware is most likely fine.

I can't help but wonder what change in the update caused this issue. Any ideas how to fix this would be greatly appreciated :)

Even though it seems to be related to the update have you tried playing around with the SATA mode in the BIOS (AHCI, etc.)?

Even though it seems to be related to the update have you tried playing around with the SATA mode in the BIOS (AHCI, etc.)?
No, haven't tried this yet. It's set to AHCI which is typically the correct choice for SATA drives. Might be worth a try, but even if it worked loosing e.g. NCQ would be less than ideal.

I absolutely agree, but might help in the troubleshooting process. Is there a BIOS update available by any chance?

Thanks for the ideas! BIOS updates are among the first items on my checklist:)

It appears I found the solution:
Removing the kernel parameter "mem_encrypt=on" avoids the error and disks show up once again. As this parameter isn't officially supported on Ryzen (only Ryzen Pro and Epyc) I suppose some change to the Kernel / driver (?) broke this feature's compatibility with the controller :confused: Hopefully this will be fixed in future updates. Otherwise I'll have to add a separate controller to regain memory encryption.

Thanks for the ideas! BIOS updates are among the first items on my checklist:)

It appears I found the solution:
Removing the kernel parameter "mem_encrypt=on" avoids the error and disks show up once again. As this parameter isn't officially supported on Ryzen (only Ryzen Pro and Epyc) I suppose some change to the Kernel / driver (?) broke this feature's compatibility with the controller :confused: Hopefully this will be fixed in future updates. Otherwise I'll have to add a separate controller to regain memory encryption.
Hi @Mr.Goodcat

just wondering if you are using the onboard SATA ASMEDIA for ZFS?

have any other issues popped up ?

""Cheers
G

Hi @Mr.Goodcat

just wondering if you are using the onboard SATA ASMEDIA for ZFS?

have any other issues popped up ?

""Cheers
G
Hi Velocity,

my setup utilizes all onboard SATA controllers, including the ASMEDIA chip.
Aside from the hiccups described in this thread, there hasn't been a single issue so far.

Cheers

Hi Velocity,

my setup utilizes all onboard SATA controllers, including the ASMEDIA chip.
Aside from the hiccups described in this thread, there hasn't been a single issue so far.

Cheers
thank you.

are you using ZFS with the ASMEDIA ?

""Cheers
G

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!