SanDisk LB406S 400GB for ceph

Zombie

Feb 12, 2018
Looking to see if any one uses these disks in a ceph cluster SanDisk LB406S 400GB 2.5" SAS SSD 6Gbps.

If so can you tell me if they are performing well for you or not or if these drives should be avoided?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well you are right they would work, but I guess I should give some more of my thoughts. I would be upgrading from 10K SAS drives so really any enterprise SSD will be a big improvement over my old drives. I guess between these SanDisk drives and drives like a intel DC SSD S3610 is there really a big difference between these two? Would I see big performance between these drives?

Work load is fairly heavy between mid afternoon to midnight on the servers. I just want to make sure that in a couple months I don't need to be looking for a different SSD again. Also I know going from the SAS drives to an SSD will be huge, but I don't know how big of a difference from the example of the two I listed (sandisk and intel s3610) would be.

If you need me to clarify more I can or if it makes sense or not.

Thanks for your time!

Also I know going from the SAS drives to an SSD will be huge, but I don't know how big of a difference from the example of the two I listed (sandisk and intel s3610) would be.
This all depends on your exact workload.
Streaming / sequential patterns will not be much faster, because those can be handled fairly easily by HDDs as well and they can get up to 300 MB/s transfer rates. You might see increases of 2 times (conservative) of an SSD - but it depends on the SSD and there typically the size of the SSD. Smaller SSDs (200 GB) might even perform less!

If you have random access then the situation is a lot different. Assuming your HDD does about 200 IOps (rough number) then an SSD typically (without specing further) can be estimated with constant/steady state performance of 5000 IOPs So the factor is 25x.

I don't think you will notice much difference between the SANdisk and Intel. You should get something that can handle you WRITES and the WRITE-VOLUME. That determines if you need to purchase new / other gear soon.
In the end writes are killing the cells (wear-out) so this is what you should be concerned about.

Thank you tburger! Lot of good information for me to process and determine what exactly where the work load is used. Right now it appears to be leaning towards the random access, but I am going to watch for a couple of weeks to make sure I do the right upgrades the first time.

Thanks again!

What applications are you running?
Check for the number of IOps and the throughput you see currently as well as disk busy times or io wait times. They can give you a rough idea how the current system behaves

Do you know if I enable the metric server collection in the proxmox gui to my influx DB if it would be possible to create a grafana chart of just reads and writes, so it could be looked at over a few weeks?

Sorry @Zombie for responding late.
I personally have no experience with grafana (always wanted to implement it, but didn't). There are plenty of guides out there and also some dashboards available. Maybe you found them already?!

@tburger All good here! I have been a bit busy with a couple extra projects on top of this one, so I have had to put this on the back burner for a hot minute. I saw a solution onliine (dont' have the link right now) for being able to get the ceph information into grafana with a ceph exporter. I am going to try and do that either tomorrow or the next day, projects depending.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!