SAN Configuration

bigfishinnet

Feb 2, 2010
So far using Proxmox (1.9) I have just had a need for it to host a few virtual servers and all running from the same raid drive as the installation. We have a project on going to virtualise about 9 servers in a SAN of about 5TB. So far my understanding is little limited on this so I am wondering if a few folks could provide some advice.

So we have a proxmox server running 2.1 and this is connected to a SAN in which the servers are based. So far servers will be 3 windows domain controllers, 2 rdp servers, file and print, application server, windows ISA, and proxy server.

What is the best means of attaching proxmox to SAN?

So we were thinking at least a couple of proxmox servers attached to a single san splitting the load and service of the servers. I suppose I need to consider backup for the san as well. Another SAN for 5TB backup?

Has anyone run anything from proxmox on this sort of scale any advice would be very useful. :) I must admit I have not even touched 2.x aside from installing 2.0 in virtula box on my laptop so I am not yet familair with this yet.

I hope someone can provide some pointers :) Thanks to the proxmox team in any case.

Just a little more info on the config that the Proxmox team used for these servers would be useful. They (Intel Modular System) seem really setup well for this sort of solution. But I have a few questions.

I assume that for best performace and resiliance two raid cards supporting RAID 10. One storage pool setup on one controller for the proxmox installations we are going to use 3 server compute modules so we can HA a few of the virtual hosts. The other controller also using Raid 10 for the virtual hosts setup as storage pool 2 and this would use the remaining capacity. My problem is that the requirement for 5TB storage minimum.

If i go for 12 900 GB 2.5" drives with 6GB/s access and 10k RPM I can meet the requirement but that leaves me with 2 spare drives for the proxmox installs. So here I would opt for 2 x 300 GB in Raid 1 Mirror spinning at 15k and 6GB/s. All drives would be seagate savvio

What do people think about this as a setup?

Stephen

just to note, you can also add external sas storage to your IMS if the internal disks are not enough - ask your IMS vendor.

just to note, you can also add external sas storage to your IMS if the internal disks are not enough - ask your IMS vendor.

Ahh OK it be a bit of a step back though (cost and complication) having to add a real SAN though.

What do you think about one storage pool on two discs in raid 1 mirror with three configured Proxmox Nodes for High Availability. Does not sound to clever?

Stephen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!