Samba Questions

ttist25

May 17, 2012
Hey there,

I'm setting up a new ProxMox host and want to serve a samba share from local storage. Then I would like to access that share from Windows VM's on the host.

I guess my first question would be, is this inadvisable from either a security or any other perspective? Based purely on gut, it seems like the overhead required to do this with a separate VM wouldn't be economical.

If it is advisable, is there a standard samba server install running on ProxMox 2.1? On other systems I've used I can start/stop/restart samba from /etc/init.d but I don't seem to be able to do that here. Issuing 'ps aux | grep smbd' shows the service running but I can't access it (i.e. 'smbd -b | grep smb.conf' gives 'command not found').

I think I'm missing some big piece of information. :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

B

running service on the host is generally not recommended, but works.

start/stop the samba status with:

Code:
service samba start

Hey there,

I guess my first question would be, is this inadvisable from either a security or any other perspective? Based purely on gut, it seems like the overhead required to do this with a separate VM wouldn't be economical.

Running samba directly on the host exposes the host to any security vulnerabilities that might exist in samba.
I am running samba in some OpenVZ containers, works really well for our needs.

can you give a quick and dirty howto with setting that up in openvz?

Hey Peter -

I'm kind of a noob at ProxMox myself but, if I can help I want to try. If you're talking about the steps to create a container, here's what I've done to accomplish that task in v2.1:

1. Download a template
    • Select "Server view" in the dropdown in the top-left corner of the screen
    • Expand the "Data center" folder and expand the node onto which you'd like to install the container
    • Click the "Local" storage node
    • Click the "Content" tab
    • Click the "Templates" button
    • Here you will see a list of templates available for download (including many TurnKey Linux appliances)
    • Select the template you'd like to install (if you're looking for a Samba PDC you could select either turnkey-fileserver or turnkey-domain-controller)
    • The template will download to your local storage. Close the "Task viewer:" window when it's finished.
  2. Create the Container
    • From the upper right-hand part of the screen click "Create CT"
    • Complete the necessary information on the General Tab and click "Next"
    • On the "Template" tab, select the template you just downloaded from the "Template:" drop-down list box
    • Complete the remaining information in the rest of the tabs
    • When you are satisfied with your settings, click the "Finish" button
    • Your container is created. Close the "Task Viewer:" windows when it is complete.

Now just click on your container in the tree and click the "Start" button in the upper right-hand of the screen.

If you are new and trying to transfer from VirtualBox (like I was) I also put a tutorial together on how to migrate VirtualBox .VDI's to ProxMox. You might find that helpful as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!