Samba 4 write lock problem with MS Word

deang

Jul 27, 2015
I apologize for cross posting this with LinuxQuestions.org. I posted there, but have not heard back. And now I'm wondering if I'm using an unsupported proxmox design. I have proxmox 5. And I'm using the underlying debian NFS export (not a VM or container). Then sending this to a separate physical Samba DC, which in turn exports Samba shares to clients, And I'm having troubles with these Samba shares. And Now I'm wondering if my design is bad. Its like this:

* proxmox/debian server* -> import NFS ->*physical Samba DC * -> export samba share ->* client *
* (export NFS) * * * * *

Perhaps instead should I be using proxmox itself to export the Samba shares directly to the clients?

Here is the original post at LinuxQuestions.org if you want to read it:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...4-write-lock-problem-with-ms-word-4175652349/

Hmmm, in edit mode that little mono spaced picture looks ok, but not in display mode.......

I went ahead and posted my problem to the Samba list. The answer I got back was that using NFS in the manner I was is considered "unreliable". I'll setup Samba on my proxmox server and deliver shares directly to the clients instead of using NFS. -- Dean

Reactions: pro lamer
Will you please post the link here? I can't do it because new users can't post external links...

Edit: I've just clicked 'thanks' so @deang possibly stops being a new user ;)

Sent from my phone

Last edited:
Hi,

What I have learn is the fact that if you must do a setup, then you must keep it simple as possible(kiss principle). If you use many leyers (nfs/samba/storage) it will be a complicated task to maintain. It will be hard to solve problems and to have decent performance.

Some suggestions that I can make:
- I guess that your final clients are using win10, and if I remember, win10 have his own nfs client - so I think it will be better to use nfs so no samba will be need

- if my previous sentence was wrong and you relly use samba, then it will be better to create a dedicate VM/CT and install samba inside (so backup, management, security will be easy)

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!