SaltStack with Proxmox

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I've recently started using Salt (SaltStack.org), an amazing remote execution management app. I can see almost unlimited ways of using Salt and was curious if:

1. anyone has been using it with Proxmox, and if so, in which capacity;
  2. the Proxmox devs have looked into it; and if
  3. there's any reason why Salt and Proxmox would have issues coexisting?

Looking forward to any comments/discussion around Proxmox and Salt.

SaltCloud was just announced: http://salt-cloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/. It seems to be a natural fit with Proxmox, and since Salt itself is relatively easily installed on Debian, integration shouldn't be too hard.

Personally, I think SaltCloud and Proxmox integration could be extremely useful. Any comments/views on this from the Proxmox team would be interesting.

I've been testing Salt itself on Ubuntu systems off and on for the last few months. It works really well. In an extended scenario, Proxmox could even use Salt to monitor all the VMs (including Windows at some point) and report on detailed state of guests. Pre-configured templates could be created to monitor certain types of guests, like a web server running Apache, Nginx, or file server running Samba. Really, it could even monitor the state of storage nodes connected to the Proxmox cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!