Ryzen 4800U Asus PN50 64GB ZFS crashes, rest works perfect

Hi,

first of all: This barebone works perfect with Proxmox setup and LVM storage on top of debian (due to iso install not working (yet?)). Mine has a AMD Ryzen 4800U ,2TB M2 Intel SSD and second drive SATA with 860 Evo SSD and 64GB Ram (which is maximum possible).

At the beginning I had diffrent kernel panics every around 24 hours. To solve this, you need to disable S3/S4 in BIOS.

After this, a setup without ZFS works perfect. Even Opencore based VMs work stable (they need intel penryn cpu emulated by the amd ryzen).

...so I tried to setup ZFS on the Evo860. With this, I got very high loads even with small IO Traffic (up to 30) and then kernel Panics again. I digged through the forum, but did not find anything related to this issue except one post that did not help. I could not solve it. I wiped the Evo and made it LVM storage again. This works perfect. So I am fine.

I noticed via netdata, that the cpu does run on 1800Mhz all the time. Seems that there is no govenor for this CPU yet? Can this be changed?

....just wanted to share my experience.

I am satisfied with my new 15 Watts TDP low energy mini development proxmox server with 16 virtual cpus, 64gb and 3TB SSD for less than 1000 USD.

Maybe someday the small issues with ZFS and cpu govenor are solved ;-)

Cheers,

Timo

Last edited:
These problems are probably occuring with 5.4 kernel, i guess when we seen newer kernel(5.9?) , the panics should go away

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!