running zimbra and memory usage

boblin

Renowned Member
May 24, 2010
Hi all,
I want to install zimbra in proxmox ve. Proxmox server has 4GB RAM and 4GB swap. I created virtual (64bit ubuntu template) with 3GB ram + 3GB swap. When I start this new virtual host I see only 4GB ram.

As I see this is not enough for zimbra. My installation ended with:
Code:
Finished installing common zimlets.
open3: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl line 807
Any idea how to solve this?

Thank's

I've always had problems with Zimbra and Openvz.
If you are in a hurry, works (at least, last time I've tried) if you have debian5 32 bit and zimbra 32 bit, wiht 4GB ram and 4GB swap.
In past researches, I've read on this the topic "The problem with openvz is that it advertises burstable ram as 'available' memory, rather than advertising it to the OS as 'swap' or such. So, the java vm and the OS just freely use up all the available ram on the system".
I'd love some expert put a light on this issue, and fix OpenVZ if is it's fault. In fact I've found some post about how reduce memory requirements of Zimbra, but AFTER a successful installation.
Also, since I'm doing really small installation (typically < 5 accounts), I would love have Zimbra use far lesser memory.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!