Running VMware on Proxmox

Gaston Senac

Jan 4, 2019
What parameters (CPU, network, HDD) are working better to run VMware on Proxmox?

I'm trying to run VMware 6.7 as a VM inside Proxmox and I've found a few issues.
The host or qemu CPU is not supported any more by VMWare as I have a 8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz (1 Socket), so I need to emulate "Broadwell", but if started from the GUI it will give an error. It only starts from the CLI.
The KVM parameter: -cpu 'Broadwell,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,enforce,vendor=GenuineIntel'
gives me this error and won't start the VM: kvm: Host doesn't support requested features

But if I pass the parameter as: -cpu 'Broadwell' it will start fine.
Then network will not recognized the VirtIO, but will recongnize vmxnet3 (this is inside the VMWare installer).
HDD will not recognize SCSI VirtIO for example.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!