[SOLVED] Running "POST /api2/json/nodes/{node}/qemu/{vmid}/clone" from my python program

newhere

Aug 13, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am new to Proxmox and I wanted to create a VM from my python program. I was able to get a connection from my python interpreter and information about running VMs within each node and now I would like to use a python script to create a VM but I really don't know how to get started, plz help!

Thanks guys!

did you already look at the examples here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API
and the api docs here: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/api-viewer/index.html
?

if yes, what exactly do you have problems with?

Okay I was able to create my VM using the python wrapper but I am having issues creating a local disk from which the vm will boot from.
Below is the way I created the VM and this part works perfectly fine:

from proxmoxer import ProxmoxAPI
prox = ProxmoxAPI(host='IP', port=8006, user='username', password='pass', verify_ssl=False)
node = prox.nodes('nodeName')
getattr(node, 'qemu').create(vmid=234, name='hellothere', memory=1024, cpu='kvm64', cores=1, sockets=1, cdrom='local:iso/ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso', ostype='l26', net0='virtio,tag=608', pool='DEV', scsi0='lab-ceph:vm-234-disk-0,backup=1,cache=writeback,size=10G,ssd=1', scsihw='virtio-scsi-pci', hotplug=1, tablet=1, vga='qxl')

and now I am trying to add the storage for this VM so it can boot but I am getting errors, below is the command I am trying.
getattr(node, 'storage').content.post(vmid=234, filename='vm-234-disk-0', size='10G', storage='lab-ceph', format='raw')

When I run the above command, I get this:
proxmoxer.core.ResourceException: 501 Not Implemented: Method 'POST /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/content' not implemented - b'{"data":null}'

I am referring to the proxmox api documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/api-viewer/index.html#/nodes/{node}/storage/{storage}/content
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 4.41.56 PM.png
Can anybody please help me! please please....
Thanks!

hi,

the answer is in the post:

/nodes/{node}/storage/{storage}/content so it should be /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/{storage_name}/content. replace {storage_name} with the actual name of your storage

hi,

the answer is in the post:

/nodes/{node}/storage/{storage}/content so it should be /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/{storage_name}/content. replace {storage_name} with the actual name of your storage

No I don't have Commercial Support Subscription. I am experimenting this to convince my company to use your software. I am trying to create a python webform which will be used to create, clone, and modify VMs hosted by the virtualizer. I am sure if I happen to make it work without having to use bash scripts, there's a change my company will move forward using Proxmox as their main virtualizer.

I understand your point about replacing the storage_name in the path you specified but, as you may know, since the storage doesn't exist yet, you can't put it in a path, below is the error you will get trying so:

Here's the commands I typed:
1- getattr(node, 'storage/vm-136-disk-0').content.post(vmid=136, filename='vm-136-disk-0', size='10G', storage='lab-ceph', format='raw')
500 Internal Server Error: storage 'vm-136-disk-0' does not exist - b'{"data":null}'

2- getattr(node, 'storage')('vm-136-disk-0').create(vmid=136, filename='vm-136-disk-0', size='10G', format='raw')
501 Not Implemented: Method 'POST /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/vm-136-disk-0' not implemented - b'{"data":null}'

2- getattr(node, 'storage')('vm-136-disk-0').content.create(vmid=136, filename='vm-136-disk-0', size='10G', format='raw')
500 Internal Server Error: storage 'vm-136-disk-0' does not exist - b'{"data":null}'

Maybe I am missing something and I would truly appreciate you guys help.

here the {storage} is the name of your storage, not the volume in the storage.
so if your storage is called lab-ceph, then the API path needs to be /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/lab-ceph/content

i hope it's more clear now

Reactions: newhere
here the {storage} is the name of your storage, not the volume in the storage.
so if your storage is called lab-ceph, then the API path needs to be /nodes/prox5-cmi-010/storage/lab-ceph/content

i hope it's more clear now

Thank You very much Oguz, I sincerely appreciated your help. Once again thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!