Running out of Vlag ports any Negative advice to use balance-tlb for corosync/Internet

Aug 24, 2016
Netherlands
Hi.

I am building a 5 node cluster, whit 2 switches that support Vlag.
Only now i notice that in the future i am not going to have enough Vlag`s.

I have 3 bonds per node,
- Ceph Public
- Ceph Cluster network.
- Proxmox Cluster (Corosync) & internet Traffic.

so i was thinking to use balance-tlb don`t need any switch support so why not use it for Proxmox Cluster (Corosync) & internet traffic.
I am not looking for extra speed only redundancy for a failing link/switch.

I never used balance-tlb before so i have no idea if this is a good idea for Proxmox Cluster (Corosync) to run on
So i was hoping anyone had any experience/advice why its ok or not to use it ?

Tanks Jeroen

If you can spare the ports on the nodes and switches, configure 2 simple interfaces (no bonding, etc) and let corosync use them exclusively. It will failover by itself if one switch/nic goes down.

Do you have HA enabled? If so, you really want to do that! Otherwise, should Corosync go down (a lot of traffic on the physical NIC from another service can be enough to congest it), the whole corosync communication might fall apart. If this situation persists for about 2 minutes with HA enabled, you will see your whole cluster "reboot" as each node will fence (hard reset) itself.

Hallo Aaron Thanks for the replay.

Yes i am planning to Enable HA

No i don`t have any ports left,
i have 2 10 Gbe spf+ ports left witch i was planning to use fore internet traffic Max 1 Gbe, and give Corosync the rest of the available bandwidth.
Using a vLag -> ovs Bond and add 2 ovs Interfaces one for internet traffic and one for corosync an put a speed limed on them.

This way i wanted to create a redundant link for internet traffice en corosync.

Only now in the manual of the switch i noticed i can only configure 24 vLag prorts, i did`t found that in the data sheet :-(
starting whit 5 nodes all need 3 vLag`s and was planning to grow to 10 nodes.

at a point in time i will be on the max of 24 vLag so i was thinking to use balance-tlb fore the redundancy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!