Running multiple Ubuntu instances as VM's

Adrian Atthowe

Apr 9, 2018
Hi there

Am totally new to this!!

So thought i'd ask in here and see if i can get some answers.

I Have setup Proxmox VE on a server today & i am needing to run up to 20 odd instances of Ubuntu on the server.

I prefer to have separate VM's as I'm running a different software package on each pc that will be attached to the VM.

Which is the best way to do this moving forward..

1. Do I install Ubuntu server and create the VM's under Ubuntu
2. Do I just install multiple instances of Ubuntu 16.04 within the current Proxmox install

Any help/documentation with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1. Do I install Ubuntu server and create the VM's under Ubuntu
why would you do this? you then run nested virtualization, this is not necessary.

2. Do I just install multiple instances of Ubuntu 16.04 within the current Proxmox install
yes, this is the purpose of proxmox ve
but instead of installing 20 times, you can install it and then clone it 19 times (just make sure you update the ip/ssh host key/password etc. for each machine)

Reactions: Adrian Atthowe
Hi Dominik

Thanks for your response & help with my question/s, it is muchly appreciated.

I'll just have to find an Ubuntu CLI image now to install & then clone :)

regards
Adrian

I would recommend doing some testing with the containers. The memory savings will add up to quite a bit.
There are many container templates ready to download.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!