Running a Virtual Machine on the ProxMox Server?

D

DanDan

Hey all,

I've recently set up ProxMox on a machine so it's now a server. I've also set up some VM's using the web interface and they are running Fedora 17 just fine through the browser.

I'm now wondering if I can use the server I've created to run the VM. So what I mean, is to run one of those VM's I've created on the actual server its self. I know they are running on the server all the time, but I mean to actually have it appear on the server's attached monitor.

I basically wan't it to act exactly like a clean install of Fedora, just with ProxMox running at the backend. Obviously it'll be in it's container and everything, it'll just 'look' and 'seem' like a clean install. I hope that made sense :)

I've haven't seen it done anywhere, but I wouldn't see why it couldn't, but what do I know ;)

Thanks in advance,
Daniel,

P.S.
Sorry for posting twice!
I've just joined the forums and my browser was too quick to redirect, so I missed the message telling me about the moderators checking the posts first. So I thought it just didn't work and posted again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey again,

I've done some more reading and learnt a few more things, mind you I'm still a total noob. Brace yourself for the question of all noobs ;)

How do you actually even access and run a VM?

I mean I know you can do it from the the web interface's console, but surely that isn't the recommended way?

I mean this post has had over 100 views, but if someone could just tell me..

Is the ProxMox server machine concrete? Or can I install things over the top and modify it and so forth?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel,

Okay so I've watched some of the videos tutorials, but I've got VM's set up running Fedora, and I don't need to worry about backing up and stuff yet.

As for the wiki, what am I looking for?

I find it strange that I can do everything except run the VM outside of the console! Or is that it, do you only access the VM from the Web Console through a Java protocol?

My question still remains, can I install/run VM's in the proxmox server or is it concrete? And how do I access the VM's otherwise?

I'm finding it strange that I'm having a hard time figuring this out as though I'm missing something important/obvious.

Thanks again,
Daniel,

Proxmox is not intended for "desktop usage", like Virtualbox is, so you don't sit in front of proxmox server, run a desktop interface and there have access to the VM graphical interfaces. You could do it intalling a desktop manager on top of Proxmox and, in any case, find a client to connect to the various VM (like a RDP client for the Windows guests, a X-Window one / VNC for the GNU/Linux others and so on).
I have proxmox running at home with a vm that acts as router/firewall, one with elastix server fom my home phone system (and VoIP access), one VM to play with Joomla, a samba share, and so on. For the usage it's intended for, Proxmox is really great, but if you have different ("desktop") needs "probably" is not the best choice. Of course, if you would be expert on the subject, you could better "fine tune" the configuration and maybe reach your goals anyway, but if you are novice, is nothing I feel confortable in suggesting you.

I haven't tried it, but you -might- be able to pass-through a secondary video card to a VM.. that could give you desktop of a VM.. But mmenaz is right, that's not really the intention of Proxmox. If you want desktop + VM's, look at something like VMware Workstation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!