Run VM/CTs on the same server as PBS?

justjosh

Nov 4, 2019
Hi,

I would like to provision a vanilla fileserver on the same host that is running PBS. How would I go about doing this?

Should I install PVE then run PBS as a VM? As a CT?

Or is there some built in functionality in PBS that fulfils this purpose?

Thanks!

Neither PVE nor PBS got any NAS functionalities. And you don't need to run PBS in a VM or LXC. You can install both bare-metal. For that first install PVE from the PVE ISO and then add the proxmox-backup-server package like described here: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#install-proxmox-backup-server-on-proxmox-ve

Then PVE and PBS can share the same storage, you got both webUIs (port 8006 and 8007) and you can run a NAS OS inside a LXC or VM.
Setting up a NFS or SMB server yourself on just a bare metal PBS using the CLI is of cause also always an option. But PVE/PBS won't help you with that. You will have to do it like you would do it with a normal headless Debian 11 server.

What do you mean they can share the same storage? I will be able to use PVE to create a ZFS pool then allocate a dataset to PBS? There will be no conflicts?

What do you mean they can share the same storage? I will be able to use PVE to create a ZFS pool then allocate a dataset to PBS? There will be no conflicts?
jup.

You also should do regular test restores to see if your backups are still working as expected. Here it is also handy to have PVE installed on your PBS server, so you can do local restores in an isolated environment without affecting the other productive PVE servers.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!