Rsync on Truenas shutdown VM!

Maconly34

Jun 3, 2024
when I launch a copy with Rsync from an internal Pool (RaidZ2) to an external Pool via a USB 3.1 port, after a while the TrueNAS VM crashes (shutdown).

The copy speed can rise to 450 MB/s...
If I restrict the Rsync speed to 300 Mb/s I don't crash any more!

Do you have a solution to this high-speed crash problem ?

THANK YOU

What is your setup? The RaidZ2 is on Proxmox or on TrueNAS VM? Please provide a little more information on how the whole thing is structured.

The RaidZ2 pool was created on TrueNAS Scale 2024. Copying is done via a USB 3.1 port in passthrough on the PC and in Thunderbolt 4 on the external unit (Qnap TL-D800C) containing the pool of 8 disks to be copied. below screen copy of TrueNAS VM)
Command line :
Bash:
rsync -avh --bwlimit=50M --progress /mnt/Prox2_Pool/ /mnt/master_pool/

I'm doing the test on another (min) PC with the extension plugged into a USB 3.2 port and Rsync to the main PC on the network - no bugs for 2 days. Debian VM under Proxmox to do the Rsync.
Command line :
Bash:
rsync -avz --ignore-existing --progress /Prox2_Pool/data/media/movies/ admin@192.168.0.71:/mnt/master_pool/data/media/movies/

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bruno

Attachments

• Capture d’écran.png
    Capture d’écran.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You know that your "Min RAM: 4 GiB" config could force TrueNAS down to 4GiB of RAM and that TrueNAS got a minimum hardware requirement of 8GB?

My Rsync were done with Truenas in 32 GB and without balooning, only after the bugs I switched to balooning 4/32 because I thought it might be due to OOM Killer.
In addition, my rsync, which has been running for 3 days with this memory configuration (see below), has not crashed

Attachments

• Capture d’écran.png
    Capture d’écran.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!