Routing Problems

mikayil

Jul 25, 2023
I have a Proxmox server with a 10G NIC and I want the backup processes to run over this interface. Since I'm in the same subnet, I can't directly select the NIC, so I created a VLAN. However, I can't assign a second gateway there, which is causing the network traffic to not route correctly. Can someone help me with this?

You should never need a second gateway. Putting in a second gateway can even cause more issues.
A gateway is only to tell your system where to go when an IP is NOT in any of the local IP-ranges that it knows about.
VLAN can help to seperate networks, but each vlan still need a seperate subnet to route properly between the different VLAN's

If you want the backup-process to run through this interface, you will need to put a second IP / IP-range on the target and put that same one on your source.

If that is not possible, the only other option would be use a smaller subnet within your main subnet, but that's more advanced and will be less clear/flexible.
For example, if your main range is 192.168.0.X/24, you could use the IP's 192.168.0.9 to 192.168.0.14 for ALL the devices (so Proxmox and the backup-servers/-storages) that you want to communicate for backup. On Proxmox you would then use subnet /29, so it uses that to communicate to other things, and on the storage and the like you use /24 still to reach the router and the like.

Reactions: _gabriel
Yes, I solved it using Mikrotik. Now I can communicate with both VLANs through one gateway. It seems the issue was with the VLAN configuration on the switch

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!