Routing issue with Proxmox guest on a node in a Proxmox cluster running webservers

ctlister

Nov 8, 2021
So I am trying to make a private intranet accessible via both ZeroTier and OpenVPN (and maybe WireGuard). So far while things like SSH, and Wazuh ossec agents work, a webserver running on a guest VM as either the Apache2 or python3's http.server module can show the contents of the training materials that I am sharing with friends, but for some reason, when it comes to actually loading the *.pdf file, or a media file like mp4 as downloadable content, it does not seem to work.

Is there some sort of IPTables rule or ipv4 forwarding configuration that I need to enable to allow this to happen on my Proxmox node? The webserver guest is Ubuntu 20.04 and is both connected as a ZeroTier client and a OpenVPN Access Server. The tunnels work for both, but being able to host content on a private intranet through SDN or VPNs doesn't seem to work.

I do not want to give up security if IPv4 forwarding is not required for webservers to work. All firewall rules in the guests are disabled. I am guessing that I need a IPTables NAT rule to allow people to access content in the private intranet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!