Root password limit?

John Patterson

Aug 13, 2017
I am trying to log in to one of my nodes to fix a networking issue. The password is 49 characters long, it worked fine on the GUI but when I enter it on the host itself it only accepts about 40 characters.

What should I do?

I've just successfully logged in with a 61 character password. Are you sure that the local keyboard settings are correct? Does your password contain fancy unicode characters?
Otherwise, standard linux password recovery should do the trick. Either reboot the machine and add init=/bin/bash to the kernel line or boot from any live image, chroot into the install and passwd.

Last edited:
I've just successfully logged in with a 61 character password. Are you sure that the local keyboard settings are correct? Does your password contain fancy unicode characters?
Otherwise, standard linux password recovery should do the trick. Either reboot the machine and add init=/bin/bash to the kernel line or boot from any live image, chroot into the install and passwd.

It does have unicode characters, It may have been set up with a different key board setting UK vs US.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!