[SOLVED] root full

svennd

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2014
Today I got a "full root" due to /var/log/proxmox-backup taking up ~190G. I added all the backup sets to a separate partition /data (~1TB free)

Can I remove or prune these logs ?

as long as you don't remove any directories where logs are written to i don't see what this could break. Plus, you say you backed it all up to /data anyway? Worst case scenario you just restore the files. But again, I don't see how cleaning your logs could break anything (hope I didn't jinx it)

Hey Noel,

Thanks for the insight! I have my datastore's in a separate volume (raid-z2) but the boot disk is only ~250G did i make a mistake somehow ? I removed the logs and upgraded & rebooted and everything seems fine :)

Thanks !

Glad it worked :)
I have my datastore's in a separate volume (raid-z2) but the boot disk is only ~250G did i make a mistake somehow ?
I am afraid that I don't fully understand the question. If the datastore is on a separate volume it won't share space with the boot disk. I also don't know the original size of the boot disk or what else is on it. What size are you expecting? It might be that other logs or stuff is taking up space.

Hey,

The logs where filled with these warnings :

Code:
2023-01-04T00:13:42+01:00: WARN: warning: unable to access non-existent chunk d6c21c5dafaa58660dc2f83c112ba5862cfacde8ba10d96dd6be5def2c3e4a0a, required by "/data/panda_pbs/ct/107/2022-12-16T23:00:02Z/root.pxar.didx"

So much that it goes into the GB's. So something is wrong, but I can restore from backups so i'm not sure what.

The root is on a 250GB ssd, and the /data is on a zpool mirror off 2x4TB drives. The 250GB disk got filled and this killed the processes. I now removed the logs and it started working again.

Svenn

Hey Noel,

Might be, ill follow up a little bit closer, since I was perfectly happy to forget about pbs, as it just works and when tested to restore on a different proxmox server I never faced any hiccup.

Thanks for your help !

Svenn

Reactions: noel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!