root full 100%

compunetss

Apr 20, 2013
Tampa Bay
www.compunetss.com
Hello i am new to linux world trying to learn as i go, some how i try to setup the backup on all my KVM some how i ended up in the root directory, any one can help with the command and steps to delete the backup files from the root thanks in advance.

Welcome to Linux!

You could login via shell by clicking shell right next to restart, shutdown from the proxmox web gui. From there you can go into the directory you created when you setup your backup storage. Delete the backups you don't need to reclaim some HD space.

You can also type at the shell which will give you the size of the directories.

du -sh /*

if backup-storage is the name of your backup storage folder you could enter it by

cd /path to/backup-storage

from here you could delete files using rm. Careful with the rm command especially when you're logged in as root you could end up deleting a system file. It will delete anything you have it delete!

rm -rf vzdump-xxxxx

I know the Proxmox developers frown on installing Webmin but in your case as you learn Linux to edit files using vi. You could also edit files using a web interface by installing webmin.

i thank you so many time but i think i am still in trouble because the shell is not running from the web gui i had to use putty to connect and not sure how to view the root directory and delete the extra files

When you're logged in via putty type cd /. Which takes you to root dir, from there you can use the commands i posted earlier.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!