Rights to use and provide services?

alex911kz

Jan 31, 2022
Hello,
I am interested in your software "Proxmox Virtual Environment (Proxmox VE)".
Can it be used for the following purposes? in the form of providing hosting services to other legal entities?
For example, in the following scenario? on a plant / free basis?
Proxmox Virtual Environment (Proxmox VE).png

Hi,
Can it be used for the following purposes? in the form of providing hosting services to other legal entities?
As long as you adhere to the AGPLv3 license that is used by Proxmox VE and do not violate the Proxmox trademark you are free to do whatever.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.de.html
E.g., if you change the source code in any way you need to make the changed version (in source verbatim) available to all your user you provide service too. We cannot provide legal counsel here, in general, but I think that as long as you do not modify the source without contributing it back upstream to us or swapping out Proxmox logos or the like should keep you on (legal) safe side.

For example, in the following scenario? on a plant / free basis?
In general, if you're providing commercial services that directly depend on a platform, it makes sense to ensure that
  1. You can get support for that platform if something fails
  2. You get stable and the most tested update versions for the platform
  3. The platforms' maintenance is covered and guaranteed for, iow. Bug and security issues are fixed in a timely manner
All of those points are covered by buying a Proxmox VE subscription https://www.proxmox.com/proxmox-ve/pricing
There's certainly not a must to do so, just trying to convey that it normally still makes sense business-wise, at least as long as you turn in a profit.

Reactions: UdoB
So for hosting purposes, you can use this virtualization? without changing the source code in it, in its standard type ?

That is, on bare metal, I can install Proxmox Virtual Environment (Proxmox VE) - ? And install virtual machines according to my capacity of my physical server?

after which, on a paid basis, provide access to virtual servers to tenants?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!