Retaining both stopped and snapshot backups

gauthig

Renowned Member
Jun 13, 2014
I setup my backup to PBS as
daily stopped, retention 7
every 4 hours snapshot, retention 5

But each morning when I go in it seems the retention 5 for the snapshots deleted th previous days full backups so I see 4 snapshots and 1 stopped full backup.

How can I have two backup strategies at the same time?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-22 073726.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-22 073726.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
I solved that by creating two namespaces. One for stop backups, one for snapshot backups. I‘ve added both namespaces as its own PBS storage. Then I've created two backups jobs, one PBS storage for each. You can then define backup retention for each namespace in the PBS webUI.

That way deduplication will work fine and a retention for each backup type can be used.

Last edited:
WOW! Great solution and I guess I will have to do that. Just seems strange that each backup type does not have it's own retention schedule. Most backup solutions do that, even database backups do this.

Proxmox Moderators - Feature Request!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!