Restrict IP addresses of VMs to a specific range

tobiv

May 18, 2022
Hi,
I have an NFS server that exports the same directory twice, once with rw rights and another with ro rights. The idea is to allow my proxmox VMs to read and write to the directory but other clients on the network to only read. I want to achieve this by specifying an IP range for the NFS rw export.
To do that, I would need to restrict the assigned IPs of my proxmox VMs to this specific range.

How can I do that?

PVE has no control over the IPs of the VMs.
This is something you have to configure inside the VMs.

Do you assign them statically or via DHCP?

Hi Mira,
I do assign the IPs via DHCP.
Since the number of VMs is not fixed, I also do not prefer static ips.

Then you can configure different IP ranges on your DHCP.
Assign certain MAC address ranges to those VMs and match them on your DHCP server.

Currently it's only possible to set one MAC prefix globally for all VMs, but maybe this could be extended to allow multiple based on the resource pool or groups in the future.

Reactions: tobiv

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!