[SOLVED] Restoring from exterior HDD

Aug 10, 2022
so. Recently I had an issue that forced me to have to do a clean install of PBS, luckily the backups were being made to an external drive that, as far as I can see, is perfectly fine, I am however having a hard time finding what the best way to approach this issue is.
since its a new install the directory and data store have to be set up again, the disk is being recognized, but it is treated as a partition and not a mounted disk.
So my questions are,
1- can i import the directory and data store from the old HDD?
2- if not how would one go about extracting the backup data from the hdd?

any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi,
currently mounting a preexisting filesystem needs to be done via CLI. If you mount the partition somewhere and add a datastore with that backing path (not sure if you also need the same name for the datastore), the backups should be recognized again. To make the mount persistent, you can create an entry in /etc/fstab or a systemd mount unit.

hi thanks for the response, after mounting in the CLI when I try to create the datastore I get this error.
TASK ERROR: unable to create chunk store 'VMB' subdir "/mnt/datastore/Disk_1/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists

any idea? cant seem to find an answer related to proxmox,

Last edited:
ok, so, I had misunderstood what you recommended to do. I had tried proxmox-backup-manager datastore create VMB /mnt/datastore/Disk_1 and then got that earlier error.
In hindsight adding the the old Datastore name, and the HDD's mount location as path, to datastore.cfg did infact work. Thank you for the recommendation and assistance, it was appreciated.

Reactions: fiona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!