Restoring CT's from subvols (ZFS)

herefortheLAN

Aug 22, 2023
ProxMox 8.0.3

Good Evening:

I messed up. I added a Zpool RAIDZ1 and moved all my containers (via "Move Storage") from the default local-lvm to this new ZFS RAIDZ1. Then I attempted to migrate the root drive to a new drive and borked the install.

So, figuring my CTs were safe on my RAIDZ1 (4 separate SSDs) and reinstalled ProxMox. I was able to to add the RAIDZ1 via
Code:
zpool import -f zpool
(zpool is the name of the zpool; original, I know). Obviously, the CTs did not show up but I do have the subvols in the "VMDisks" section of the zpool:

1699673458406.png

Is there any way to rebuild my containers using the subvols?

Thank you!

You only copied the virtual disks but not the whole LXCs. You also need the config files which were still on the system disk you have wiped.
So you would have to create new config files (in "/etc/pve/lxc" and "/etc/pve/qemu-server") using the same VMIDs based on your memory unless you also got a backup of your /etc/pve folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: herefortheLAN
You only copied the virtual disks but not the whole LXCs. You also need the config files which were still on the system disk you have wiped.
So you would have to create new config files (in "/etc/pve/lxc" and "/etc/pve/qemu-server") using the same VMIDs based on your memory unless you also got a backup of your /etc/pve folder.
Wanted to thank you. It was as you said. Still you gave me enough and after several hours I have everything back. What was helpful was that I use the VMIDs that match the last octet of the containers ip address. That made matching a bit easier.

The VMs were much more difficult. The key is to backup and use the previous TPM drive. Otherwise you will never get a Windows Server VM to boot, again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!