Restoring a VM backup for testing purposes jams the original VM

Alex Metcalre

May 10, 2019
Hi,

I have a QEMU VM (111) (coverted from VMDK), and I'm trying to figure out why snapshotting isn't working.

I am trying to restore a recent backup of 111 to, say 114, so I can test stuff without breaking the production server. Problem is that when ever the restoration gets going, VM111 stops responding. When I cancel the restore of VM111, the live server comes back to life.

Ideas?

Proxmox 5,4

Hi Alex,
could be because of high network or IO load during restore, see this thread.
Are there other VMs on the same host/storage and what is their behavior during the restore of VM 111?

Reactions: Alex Metcalre
You will also have a problem with the restored MAC address that will cause problem, but this will be after you started your restored VM along with the original VM.

@LnxBil - yup am prepared for that. I ticked the "Unique" box when starting restore process.
@Fabian_E - thanks! I'll try testing the other machines, but later on. Production is still a little grumpy, so I want to let them cool off a moment. ;-) Thing is, I'm restoring to different storage device, so IO shouldn't be an issue. And the web-console responds ok..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!