Restoring a backup of a VM from Proxmox 3.4 to 4.1

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
the search result did not get any information about it. Is it possible, any problems ?

I want to move VMs from one cluster that is currently running 3.4 to another new cluster that is on 4.1. I though to just backup the VM to our NFS storage and restore it on the new 4.1 cluster.

If you only want to migrate from 3.4 to 4.1 it is easier to move your config and virtual disk files. This is much faster.

Are you also moving your machine or do you want to update the machine itself? If so, you can do a in-place, offline update of Proxmox.

If you only want to migrate from 3.4 to 4.1 it is easier to move your config and virtual disk files. This is much faster.

Are you also moving your machine or do you want to update the machine itself? If so, you can do a in-place, offline update of Proxmox.
I have a new server with 4.1 and I want to move all VMs from current production server running PVE 3.4 to the new one. Then once they are moved I am planing to get the older server and install clean PVE 4.1 and join it into the cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!