[SOLVED] Restore to new PVE

Halfhidden

May 14, 2021
OK long story short.. Changed hardware on the PVE and the guests no longer have access to the network properly. Maybe a dns issue but pings are all good. So today I put a new bunch of hdds into the server and installed a fresh copy of PVE (preserving the old array for emergency use if all else fails).
Now I do have PBS set up and was happily backing up all of the guests on the old PVE. Obviously it isn't configured to restore to the new PVE... and this is where I'm seeking guidance.
Should I make a new data pool for backup and call it the same... or a different name. I'm concerned that I do not accidentally over right the data pool on the PBS when connecting the new PVE.
Has anyone tried this before. Is it even possible.
What I hope to achieve here is restore the guest to the new hardware and the network issues are resolved. Am I right in thinking that I need to restore the guest without macs.
Thanks in advance

hi,

Now I do have PBS set up and was happily backing up all of the guests on the old PVE. Obviously it isn't configured to restore to the new PVE... and this is where I'm seeking guidance.
Should I make a new data pool for backup and call it the same... or a different name. I'm concerned that I do not accidentally over right the data pool on the PBS when connecting the new PVE.
just add the PBS as a storage unit on your new PVE (Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Proxmox Backup Server) and enter the details of your existing datastore on PBS; nothing will be overwritten when adding the storage.

from there you should be able to restore whichever VM you need.

Reactions: Halfhidden
hi,

just add the PBS as a storage unit on your new PVE (Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Proxmox Backup Server) and enter the details of your existing datastore on PBS; nothing will be overwritten when adding the storage.

from there you should be able to restore whichever VM you need.
Hi oguz,
I followed your instructions and indeed I was able to restore all of the guests.
I have to say that Proxmox Backup Server is a very professional setup and I highly recommend everyone to setup a PBS rather than the old way of backing up.
Now I need to learn more about PBS, as I'm sure I'm not utilising much of it.
Thanks once again oguz for your help.

Reactions: oguz
Hi oguz,
I followed your instructions and indeed I was able to restore all of the guests.
I have to say that Proxmox Backup Server is a very professional setup and I highly recommend everyone to setup a PBS rather than the old way of backing up.
Now I need to learn more about PBS, as I'm sure I'm not utilising much of it.
Thanks once again oguz for your help.
glad it worked out, and you're welcome :)

please mark the thread as [SOLVED] so others know what to expect

Reactions: Halfhidden

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!