restore single file from backup on VM restore

elettrodata4

Renowned Member
Jun 7, 2012
hello, i've Proxmox VE 7.2 and i'm restoring a VM from backup snapshot. This VM is very heavy, 80Tib. The question is : can i extract single file from one of backup snapshot on VM restore process ? I've many snapshot of same VM, i was think restore single file from different snapshot than that on course restoring ; is it possible without make a disaster? regards

PBS got single-file restore in case the VMs filesystem is supported by PBS. You can access them via PVE:
1708166064573.png

@Dunuin Thanks for the reply ; my goal is to recover a single file while a VM restore is already in progress. In your opinion, is it possible to do these two things at the same time without breaking something? as you can see in the image, the restore of VM 102 of the size of 107 TiB is in progress, and I need to take a single file from the snapshot backup (not the same snapshot backup for which I am restoring VM 102, but another different one, from a few days earlier)....

Attachments

• restore vm.jpg
    restore vm.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 10
I dont see why this shouldn't work. There is even live restore so you could use the VM while it is still restoring and then replace the newer file with the older one you downloaded via single-file restore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!