Restore only selected VD's from backup file

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Quick question. Is there an easy way to perform a 'custom' recovery meaning restore only specified VDisks (not all?

I have VM with OS + data stored on separate vdisks. I want to restore only OS one...

For vma backups this is currently not supported, for PBS you can download the image files directly from the web GUI and simply copy/move/dd them to where you want to restore to. You'd still have to take care to restore the config yourself then, however.

is it relatively easy tweak for upcoming updates or adding this feature is probably a long-term process?

I'd love to see an easy "include/exclude switching feature" as one of restore steps.
Unpacking backups is somehow possible, but might take literally HOURS along with tons of temporary free SPACE required :-/

For PBS I think this could be done relatively easily, you can open a feature request on our bugtracker. For VMA it would be more complicated, I don't see this happening any time soon (the VMA format interleaves disk images, so extracting them individually would be a bit weird - doable, but weird).

For VMA then only solution for now is to create multiple backup tasks with single VDs then (if needed) restoring backups as multiple VMs then move vd's between them - unless there's an easier option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!