Restore of VMs using external drive contained vzdump files

fbelelli

Jun 11, 2024
Hi everyone,
actually i f i want to restore a VM of which i've backup files, i share a local folder placed in my pc (Windows PC) using "Datacenter"-->"Storage"--> "Add SMB/CIFS" function with Proxmox node.
With this method, VMs backup files must be inside my PC consuming free space on my disk (also counting that this backup files, in some cases, are heavy).

My question is: if i've an external drive in which i can store this files and then try to share this with Proxmox?? I've tried it in many different times but i didn't succeed.

Thank you for your help.
Filippo

PVE doesn't really care where the backup files are coming from, as long as it can read them..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!