restore host backup as image file

Hi,
if you have a file-based backup you can't restore as an image directly. You can create an image, a file system on top of the image, mount it and then restore the files into the file system.

Hi,
if you have a file-based backup you can't restore as an image directly. You can create an image, a file system on top of the image, mount it and then restore the files into the file system.
Helloi
i'm also interested to understand how to restore entire VM from a backup client.

i don't understand wat yopu mean with:
ou can create an image, a file system on top of the image, mount it and then restore the files into the file system.

Fiona you mean i need to install a VM with the same specs install the PBS agent and then run a restore?
Or i can need to create a VM start with a live distro and then run a restore?

Fiona you mean i need to install a VM with the same specs install the PBS agent and then run a restore?
If you have proxmox-backup-client in the VM, you can also run the restore from inside the VM.
Or i can need to create a VM start with a live distro and then run a restore?
With a live-distro you won't have the proxmox-backup-client available.

I meant the following
Code:
root@pve8a1 ~ # cat example/some_file
some text
root@pve8a1 ~ # proxmox-backup-client backup --repository <my-repo> host-backup.pxar:example
Starting backup: host/pve8a1/2024-08-07T08:30:20Z
root@pve8a1 ~ # pvesm alloc zfs 113 vm-113-disk-3 1G
successfully created 'zfs:vm-113-disk-3'
root@pve8a1 ~ # mkfs.ext4 $(pvesm path zfs:vm-113-disk-3)
root@pve8a1 ~ # mount $(pvesm path zfs:vm-113-disk-3) /mnt/tmp
root@pve8a1 ~ # proxmox-backup-client restore --repository <my-repo> host/pve8a1/2024-08-07T08:30:20Z host-backup.pxar /mnt/tmp
root@pve8a1 ~ # cat /mnt/tmp/some_file
some text
root@pve8a1 ~ # umount /mnt/tmp
root@pve8a1 ~ # qm set 113 -scsi2 zfs:vm-113-disk-3
update VM 113: -scsi2 zfs:vm-113-disk-3
Of course the details will be different depending on your needs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!