restore from backup

kevsworld

Nov 21, 2012
Hi, I am a newbie on proxmox coming from ESXi.
I am running proxmox ver 2.2 and am using KVM containers on local LVM disks.

I installed proxmox but then I wanted to change the hard disk setup which meant reinstalling proxmox. I took a backup of the virtual machines - for which I used a USB HD which I formatted to be used as "Backups" content and then used the Backup tab from the web interface to backup each VM. This all appeared to work fine.

I then reinstalled proxmox but I cant seem to find how to restore the backups from the USB HD. I have mounted it again as Backup storage and you can see it from the web GUI but I cant see any restore option. I also tried creating a vm with the same settings as the old vm to see if I could then use the restore option from within the vm setting but no luck either.

I probably did something wrong along the way but I dont know what.

If anyone can shed any light on what I may of done wrong or if there is someway of still getting my backups back, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Kevin

Seems like there wasnt actually any files within the backup mount on the USB hd- just a lost+found folder. I guess I did something wrong along the way. I think my backups are lost. Anyway, I am just doing a fresh install for my windows boxes again. No data lost, just the time to install and do all updates, so no real harm.
Thanks for your help anyway.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!