restore failure

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi!

I am testing to backup a vom on proxmox 1.9 and restore to proxmox 2.1.

We have 24 kvm machines, most of them are running fine. But there are two machines (windows 2008) that are not able to boot after restore.
the Konsole says : no bootable device, but the RAW file is created and size seems ok. The backup on proxmox 1.9 was OK.

Can anybody tell me how to check what the error is?

no, i don't use scsi. I use ide on proxmox 1.9 but the harddisk was on ISCSI LVM.
i also tested some suggestions saying one has to disable the harddisk in webinterface, then edit it and make it ide.
I tested all possibillities but had no luck. i was also not able mount -o loop the raw disk. it needs the filesystem. filesystem is ntfs. but a mount -t ntfs -o loop... does not work...

can you restore the VM on 1.9 (just to validate if the backup is ok)?

Well, sorry i had to test it before, but no the backup is not restorable on proxmox 1.9.
But the backup-protocol was fine that day. i got a mail saying backup ok.

How can i verify that the backups are fine??! I have to count on a succesful backup when the log says that to me.

post the backup log here.

The Log says:

Aug 10 23:00:01 INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: running
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: status = running
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: backup mode: snapshot
Aug 10 23:00:02 INFO: ionice priority: 7
Aug 10 23:00:03 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 10 23:00:03 INFO: Logical volume "vzsnap-node1-0" created
Aug 10 23:00:03 INFO: creating archive '/backup-vm/PROXMOX/NODE1/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_08_10-23_00_01.tgz'
Aug 10 23:00:03 INFO: adding '/backup-vm/PROXMOX/NODE1/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_08_10-23_00_01.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
Aug 10 23:00:03 INFO: adding '/dev/VG1/vzsnap-node1-0' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.raw')
Aug 11 01:02:13 INFO: Total bytes written: 58003005952 (7.55 MiB/s)
Aug 11 01:02:14 INFO: archive file size: 29.63GB
Aug 11 01:02:15 INFO: delete old backup '/backup-vm/PROXMOX/NODE1/vzdump-qemu-102-2012_08_06-23_00_02.tgz'
Aug 11 01:02:15 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 11 01:02:15 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 11 01:02:16 INFO: Found duplicate PV cpObJw1vDVgmfH5GAor0nX4gqTbKRL22: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Aug 11 01:02:16 INFO: Logical volume "vzsnap-node1-0" successfully removed
Aug 11 01:02:16 INFO: Finished Backup of VM 102 (02:02:15)

Thank you, dietmar

I booted the vm with systemrescuecd and startet gparted. The program says DISK unalloctaed and Filesystem unallocated. An attempt data rescue was unsuccesful.
it seems like the harddsik is empty..

I did a new backup from all machines and tried to restore them. one of the failing machines worked now. but the other machine is still broken after restore.

How can i be sure if the backup on proxmox 1.9 went ok? i got mail with protocol sying all is well and in an emergency case i am lost with an unusable image...
is proxmox 2.1 more stable regarding backups?

Last edited:
How can i be sure if the backup on proxmox 1.9 went ok?

The only way to be 100% sure is to restore and test the backup (as with any other backup).

Why do you get those 'Found duplicate PV' warnings - is that due to MP?

Hi Dietmar.
is there a scriptable way to test if a image is backed up correctly?

And the other question the "duplicate PV" warnings: i have no idea.

I have 4 Clusternodes, each og them has 4 NICS . and from these 4 NICS, 2 are used for ISCSI. On the ISCSI server i have 4 NICS used for iscsi
maybe it is related to that bonding configuration.

is there a scriptable way to test if a image is backed up correctly?

How should that work? The backup stores the data it reads - and the log says that was sucessfull.

And the other question the "duplicate PV" warnings: i have no idea.

I would not trust any backup including such warnings. You should try to find out why that happens.

Well the duplicate PV warnings ... I hoped you know why they are logged... as i wrote before, we have bonding devices at each server.
Don't you know how the warnings are generated?

And the other thing: it seems to be that the backup does NOT store the data it reads, though the backed up image is EMPTY but has the correct size, but the log tells me the backup was successful.

Hi Dietmar,
Yes there should be some data, but as i was booting the vm with a linux live image and running gparted, it seems just to be a partition without filesystem. gparted can't recognise the Filesystem on the partition and th vm is not booting because of a missing bootloader...

And the duplictae pv:

Well it seems to rely on my setup. we have 2 NIC in the server, i created a BOND0 (2 NICS), with IP-Adress from our LAN for better network performance and a vmbr0 with member bond0, so that the virtual machines can connect to the outside and a BOND1 (also 2 nics with another ip-Range 172.16....) only for ISCSI. now i get the duplicate PV warning but i don't know how to resolv it.

Is it possible the BONDING does not work as expected? do you know where i can begin to check?!

Last edited:
Does 'pvs' or 'vgscan' show errors about duplicate PVs? If yes, you may need to modify the filter in lvm.conf

yes, i use bonding for iscsi.

And now i configured a filter in lvm.conf nd now the duplicate pv warnings are gone....
but is the problem solved through the filter??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!