Restore failed. Broken Pipe error

Drax

Jul 21, 2012
What causes this & How do I fix it? I have plenty of space on the data drive. I simply am trying to restore an image from a backup.
* (process:589853): ERROR *
: restore failed - bdrv_write to drive-ide0 failed (-28) /bin/bash: line 1: 589852 Broken pipe

How do I fix it? BTW if failed at like 19%. I have tried a few times same exact result.

Last edited:
USB but we have never had any issues prior in several years. The USB drive is new. So I know the drive isn't at issue or shouldn't be.

I wouldn't know. Where would I find it? It has worked in past but now it fails.

I wouldn't know. Where would I find it? It has worked in past but now it fails.
If you start the backup, you see in pve-webinterface the host i/o delay. How much is that during the process?
Maybe the new USB HDD is broken, can you test it with an other disk?
What say
Code:
pveperf
on the cmd?
Post also the output of
Code:
pvesm status
and
Code:
journalctl -r -p3

Backups work perfectly. Restores are what are failing. I am not at the DC and with this old version of Proxmox getting to a command prompt is difficult.

Have you an Raidcontroller with cache?
And do you use lvm-thin?
What Raidlevel do you use?
What hardware to you have (disks, cpu, mem)?
Why it should get a cmd diffcult with an older version of proxmox? What version do you use?

No raid on the backup, just a simple USB drive.
No raid controller, using software raid.
Not sure about lvm-thin. Where would I look to find out?
Main drive is a raid 10 array. All working fine. Ran disc diag on all drives. Xeon CPU 8 core. 64GB ram. Version 3.1.21
It shouldn't be. SSH is just difficult sometimes and haven't figured out why. I am planning on upgradeing the Proxmox version as soon as I have everything stable

Last edited:
Raid10 is fine! So you have only a problem to restore, can you backup a VM local on the machine, and test then a restore? Or backup first on another USBdrive, or another internal SATA/SAS-Drive.

i would do what @fireon recommends put the dump into the local of the proxmox to do this i would recommend easy open up winscp
then go to var/lib/vz/dump and place the backup file there then on webGUI restore from the local

then the old fashion way,

connect usb mount the drive

then cp the file to

Code:
var/lib/vz/dump

and restore from local

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!