Resize mirror boot disks in ZFS

ptmigmag

May 8, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm noob and for the life of me i can't figure this out:

I had 2x 240GB ssd's in a mirror with proxmox installed. I wanted to replace them with bigger 2TB ssd's and i took adavantage of the mirror and sawpped them one at a time following the instruction for copying the partitions to the new drive and install GRUB to make them bootable.

So far so good i have the 2 new 2TB ssd's installed with the default 3 partitions and as expected i have to "resize" partiton #3 where rpool is, to use all available drive space.

In my search i saw that in ZFS, is not possible to "expand" the partiton and the only possible way is to delete that particular partition and create a new one, this time using all the available space. I would then have to resilver zpool.

So could you explain as i'm a 5 year old how to achieve this?

I'm thinking of doing again: one disk at a time, taking it offline and then delete partiton #3 and make a new one with all available space then turning it online and let it resilver. Then repeat for the other disk.

Thanks helpping this NOOB!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 12.25.29.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 12.25.29.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 5

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!