Resilvering problem.

STE

May 15, 2019
Hi,

I'm unable to replicate partitions in order to perform the resilvering.

I'm using ZFS

This is the command I'm using:

sgdisk --replicate=/dev/ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0_WD-WCAW31942001-part3 /dev/ata-WDC_W1002FAEX-00Y9AO_WD-WCAW31821548-part3

This is the problematic drive that needs replacement:

ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0_WD-WCAW31942001-part3

And this is the drive I'm trying to replicate the partitions from:

ata-WDC_W1002FAEX-00Y9AO_WD-WCAW31821548-part3

I've tried this in the past in another proxmox installation where drives showed up as "sda,sdb,sdc" and it worked ok, but for some reason, it's not working on this other installation.

These are the steps I went through so far:
1) Marked the drive as offline.
2) Replaced the drive.

The next step is to replicate partitions but I'm getting this error:

Problem opening /dev/ata-WDC_W1002FAEX-00Y9AO_WD-WCAW31821548-part3 for reading! Error is 2.
The specified file does not exist!

For some reason it says the ok drive I'm trying to replicate the partitions from doesn't exists, but it does.

Any help would be appreciated, let me know if you need any other data.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I was able to replicate, randomize and install grub on the drive using the sdx name which is sdd for this drive, but I get this error when I try to do zpool replace:

zpool replace rpool /dev/sdd

cannot replace /dev/sdd with /dev/sdd: no such device in pool

I tried zpool replace rpool /dev/sdd3 and I get:

cannot resolve path '/dev/sdd3'

UPDATE 2:

I tried this:

zpool replace rpool /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0_WD-WCAW31942001-part3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0_WD-WCC6Y1YV09H5

Now the ssh session is stuck, I can't see the zpool status because I get a timeout from the ssh and from the webgui, vms are working ok so far.

UPDATE 3:

The volume didn't break, I'm back at the beginning

zpool.png

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0_WD-WCC6Y1YV09H5-part3
This is the new drive, I already replicated partitions, randomized guids and installed grub, I just can't replace the old one, I tried this:

zpool replace rpool /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0_WD-WCAW31942001-part3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0_WD-WCC6Y1YV09H5

And it got stuck, should I try this?:

zpool replace rpool /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0_WD-WCAW31942001-part3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0_WD-WCC6Y1YV09H5-part3

I'm at at loss here.

Last edited:
/dev/ata-WDC_W1002FAEX-00Y9AO_WD-WCAW31821548-part3
I think you are missing half the path mate ;)
There is no /dev/ata... I promise.

try /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC ....
only sda, sdb, sdc are populated directly in /dev tree.

/edit: and I should have read the post up until to the last line before hitting reply...

I think you are missing half the path mate ;)
There is no /dev/ata... I promise.

try /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC ....
only sda, sdb, sdc are populated directly in /dev tree.

/edit: and I should have read the post up until to the last line before hitting reply...

I actually DID try this and got the same result, at this point I think the entire volume has been screwed and i'll will probably have to start all over again.

Care to share what your zpool layout is? This isn't a single-dev zpool, is it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!