Request: Optional monthly backups

Same, I can't find an easy way to do this via web interface. Before it was so easy...
I just want to run this once per week at a specific time...

Same, I can't find an easy way to do this via web interface. Before it was so easy...
One per week isn't a problem, only once per month. If you want a weekly backup at 00:00 just type in "0:00". You are not limited to the predefined values.

I found that indeed, however i must apologies and still do not get how to do this 1 time per month.
One per week isn't a problem, only once per month.
That will work now too with pve-manager version 7.1-9 (and dependencies), currently on the pvetest repository.
As there we switched over from the old Perl implementation, which was initially added for Proxmox VE 5.0's new storage replication in 2017, to the rust based from PBS. The original calendar event implementation application (storage replication) just did not need such intervals like monthly, so it wasn't added there initially.

So with 7.1-9 or later a schedule like sat *-1..7 15:00 (first Saturday in month @ 15:00) or just monthly (first day of month 00:00) will work.

Last edited:
There's an example for that in the editable selector, sun 01:00 schedules it every Sunday at 01:00 in the morning, if you want another day or time just replace the respective part.

Last edited:
That will work now too with pve-manager version 7.1-9 (and dependencies), currently on the pvetest repository.
As there we switched over from the old Perl implementation, which was initially added for Proxmox VE 5.0's new storage replication in 2017, to the rust based from PBS. The original calendar event implementation application (storage replication) just did not need such intervals like monthly, so it wasn't added there initially.

So with 7.1-9 or later a schedule like sat *-1..7 15:00 (first Saturday in month @ 15:00) or just monthly (first day of month 00:00) will work.
Thanks! :)

There's an example for that in the editable selector, sun 01:00 schedules it every Sunday at 01:00 in the morning, if you want another day or time just replace the respective part.
Hi, If I want to schedule for Monday and Wednesday, what should I put? "mon,wed 02:30" is this right? It has let me do the task but I don't know if it is correct (other possibilities I have checked told me that the syntax was incorrect and would not let me create the task).

Last edited:
Hi, If I want to schedule for Monday and Wednesday, what should I put? "mon,wed 02:30" is this right? It has let me do the task but I don't know if it is correct (other possibilities I have checked told me that the syntax was incorrect and would not let me create the task).

Yes, 02:30 o'clock on monday and wednsday would be described by the mon,wed 02:30 calendar event you used.

FYI, there's a schedule simulator available to help with ensuring one got the correct spec:
1666182391882.png

Hi, is there a way to schedule a backup for just every 2nd Monday of a month?
Till now I couldn't find out how to make it work.

Thanks.

Hi,
Hi, is there a way to schedule a backup for just every 2nd Monday of a month?
Till now I couldn't find out how to make it work.

Thanks.
yes, you can use mon *-8..14 15:00 (only the second Monday will match a day between the 8th and 14th inclusive ;)). There also is a schedule simulator in the upper right corner of the Datacenter > Backup where you can play around with or verify schedules.

is there a way to schedule a backup for just every 2nd Monday of a month?
Well yesn't, it really depens on how strict you require that to be, as currently systemd calendar events, which we base on here as common standard for flexible time schedules, lacks support for a biweekly (or any fixed day repetition not equal to exactly having a period of a week, month or year) cannot be expressed, there's an issue open for that on upstream systemd, and some activity plus a draft pull request got submitted in the recent months, once this is actually included and so the format and details are fixed we can add this to our scheduler too.

Until then, the closes you'd get is to adapt the example for first Saturday by changing sat to mon and add a second day range with comma separate to extend the first one, the end result is then: mon *-1..7,15..21 15:00 - should be pretty close, but I think there are some edge cases where the period isn't exactly two weeks, but you're guaranteed to make a backup on the first and third monday, every month, if that's enough.

Reactions: fiona
How can I achieve to run backups to an "odd" storage on a odd week and to an "even" storage" on an even week?
I have tried with the simulator but it was unsuccessful

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!