Reproducible Proxmox Crash on Kernel 6.8.4-2-pve: KVM force termination renders Web UI, SSH, and all running VMs Unresponsive

Hi,
I also have the 6.5.13-5-pve kernel pinned for now. Latest 6.8.8.2 is now showing random reboots
is there anything in the logs? If not, you might want to try running journalctl -f from another host via SSH, maybe there are logs that cannot persisted to disk.

Hi, to add to what @fiona already wrote: In your first message in this thread, you reported a NULL pointer dereference with RIP pointing to blk_flush_complete_seq:
Code:
Apr 27 13:42:52 prxmx kernel: BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000008
[...]
Apr 27 13:42:52 prxmx kernel: RIP: 0010:blk_flush_complete_seq+0x291/0x2d0
This issue in particular should be fixed in kernel 6.8.8-1 (and higher). See [1] for more details. Please test the newer kernel and report back, especially if you still see crashes.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/145760/page-8#post-674842
Thank you very much, Friedrich. Especially since you seem to be "one of our developers" [1] that got into that rabbit hole. I've successfully upgraded to version 6.8.8-2 using Fiona's method. So far, I haven't been able to reproduce the freezing issue. I'll keep a close eye on the system's stability and performance to see if it remains stable. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fweber
There is never a kernel that works for each possible hardware configuration. There always are kernel regressions, it's just a too big piece of software written in a very old language. Monitoring the forum (in particular the kernel or release announcement threads) for issues reported by people with similar hardware is good, but best is to test if the new kernel works for your setup when you have a maintenance window. Nobody else will be able to guarantee that 100% up front. We do try to minimize issues, but we can only test on the hardware we have and backport fixes that can be identified.
I acknowledge that but hey this thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/random-6-8-4-2-pve-kernel-crashes.145760/
has 9 pages of random reboots ! Still holding ff ftm...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!