Replacing vmbr0 with another interface name...

DRVTiny

Feb 5, 2010
In Proxmox perl code ip address for tunneling and clustering determined as an address of vmbr0 network interface. But if i want to use any interface different from vmbr0, i cant do it: my handmade changes in source code will be rewriten when upgrading Proxmox and there is no such configuration option: "tunneling base interface". So my question is what to do in that situation, must i use vmbr0 and only vmbr0 for the clustering needs? May i request to extend the Web-interace with this feature/option?

Hi,

You can change the real interface (ethx) used by vmbr0 on the web interface.
The default configuration use eth0 for vmbr0, you can, for example, change it with eth1 if you want.
And after that you can use vmbr1 with eth0 for your VM networks.

You can also change nic order by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Best regards,

Not so good, i need to use vmbr<VLAN number>, for example, vmbr777, for clustering and i want to have possibility change the interface name for clustering.
So my question is...

What The Hell|Why vmbr0 is hardcoded directly in perl modules???
Code:
ve1:/etc/pve/master# fgrep -rH vmbr0 /usr/share/perl5/PVE/
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm:    my $localip = $ifaces->{vmbr0}->{address} || $ifaces->{eth0}->{address};
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Config.pm:    my $localip = $ifaces->{vmbr0}->{address} || $ifaces->{eth0}->{address};
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Config.pm:    # always add the vmbr0 bridge device
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Config.pm:    $ifaces->{vmbr0}->{exists} = 1;
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/Config.pm: $ifaces->{vmbr0}->{gateway} = '';

Do you have multiple network cards in your proxmox host ?
If yes, does your interface for clustering will be used only for that ?

Yes my Proxmox host has 2 physical network interfaces and a lot of VLAN-based interfaces. I dont know what interface to use for clustering to achieve best performance, but i think that interface name "vmbr0" tell me nothing about what VLAN it's attached, so i want to replace it with vmbr801 or vmbr777 (and so on)...

Have you try to use for example eth0.801 for the vmbr0 bridge ?

Yes, of course. But, again, WHY i HAVE TO use vmbr0 only, because if interface with this name is absent - mirroring and tunneling not working??? I dont find any reasons for hardcoding this interface name. Its terrible and i hope, this will be fixed in the upcoming releases...

Yes, of course. But, again, WHY i HAVE TO use vmbr0 only, because if interface with this name is absent - mirroring and tunneling not working???

because it is implemented that way - it uses the ip of eth0 or vmbr0. This is functionally equivalent to any other solution.

I dont find any reasons for hardcoding this interface name. Its terrible and i hope, this will be fixed in the upcoming releases...

The cluster code in 2.0 will change, yes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!