Replaced failed nvme boot raid, one(old) is by id, new is /dev/nvme1n1

FuriousRage

Renowned Member
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, i just replaced a DOA-ish nvme, old drive(s) was zfs mirrored by id, now the new drive is by /dev/nvme1n1.
zpool replace -f rpool nvme-eui.00000000000000000026b728344e7335-part3 /dev/nvme1n1
Any way to turn this nvme1n1 into by-id now when its reslivered back into the zfs pool?

Are you looking for?

Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/ | grep nvme1n1

Generally, however, I prefer PARTLABELs which are easy to assign with e.g. sgdisk -c and displayed with lsblk -o+PARTLABEL

Are you looking for?

Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/ | grep nvme1n1

Generally, however, I prefer PARTLABELs which are easy to assign with e.g. sgdisk -c and displayed with lsblk -o+PARTLABEL
Yes. but i have already attached the new nvme per /dev/nvme1n1. I guess i have to remove it from the raid, and reattach with the by id? Or does it not matter now (not going to add more drives to this raid, only replace when/if one fails)

Yes. but i have already attached the new nvme per /dev/nvme1n1. I guess i have to remove it from the raid, and reattach with the by id? Or does it not matter now (not going to add more drives to this raid, only replace when/if one fails)

If you can export the pool and re-import (with -d - the option can be used multiple times) as referenced in the link above, that would do (without resilvering). This of course has to be a pool that the system you are doing it on is not running from.

EDIT: See also: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/master/8/zpool-import.8.html#d~2

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!