Replace failed zfs disk

Dexter23

Dec 23, 2021
Hi guys
I replace a "faulted" zfs disk and the process finished without errors, but i receive this message:

Code:
Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
        The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.

I never see that advise i need to do something?
Thanks

You do not need to do something. This is just a hint, not an error message. But usually I do upgrades to enable new features :)

You can read the man-page man zpool-features.

If you are sure there is no need to run this system with an older ZFS-version at any time in the future then you run zpool upgrade to get rid of this friendly reminder.

To know which features are active/enabled/disabled take a look at zpool get all rpool | grep feature :)

You do not need to do something. This is just a hint, not an error message. But usually I do upgrades to enable new features :)

You can read the man-page man zpool-features.

If you are sure there is no need to run this system with an older ZFS-version at any time in the future then you run zpool upgrade to get rid of this friendly reminder.

To know which features are active/enabled/disabled take a look at zpool get all rpool | grep feature :)
Hi thanks for answer, i'm not an zfs expert so i don't if this features i need or not, having said that this system is a proxmox backup server so i think can i do zpool upgrade right?

so i think can i do zpool upgrade right?
If you do not intent to boot that system with an old ZFS release, then yes.

Please note that this won't be the case as long as everything works as intended. The only source of trouble I can see occurs if you try to boot an older kernel including an older ZFS release and some of those new features are actively in use and are required for the system to do its job.

Probably PVE will not actively pick up new features. But I am not able to tell this definitely - I am not a Proxmox Developer :)

I have never had problems after "zpool upgrade", but I will not state the same for systems of other people ;-)

So my recommendation to be safe boils down to: leave it untouched for some time now - it is no problem at all! Wait for one or two more Kernel upgrades. In some months do "zpool upgrade".

Really just my two cents...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!