Replace a node with new Hardware

maydo

Jul 20, 2019
Hi,

im new to Proxmox and installed successfully a cluster with 3 nodes and cephs network a few months ago.

pve1 hp dl380g8 7x osds
pve2 hp dl380g8 7x osds
pve3 hp dl380g7 7x osds

on each machine 1x ssd for proxmox and 7x ssds (OSDs)

now i want replace pve3 dl380g7 with a dl380g8, to have exact same 3 machines.
the disks from g7 will move to the g8

what is the best way to do it ?

should i remove pve3 from cluster before ?

or can i just install the new pve3 machine with exact same network and ip settings like the old pve3 ?

Last edited:
Hi,

thank you for Information.

i cannot add the new hardware while pve3 is running, couse the ssds needs to move from old to new pve3

- pve1
- pve2
- pve3 (to replace)

Would this work ?

- migrate all vms away from pve3
- destroy all osds from pve3 (there is enough space on pve1&2)
- shutdown pve3
- remove pve3 node, on pve1 "pvecm delnode pve3"
- install the new hardware
- install pve from scratch
- add to cluster with same settings (like the old pve3) ip/hostname/network settings

this is also a good idea, to install the new node parallel and move disk by disk
i just need to organize a new 10gbit card for new node, normally the 10gbit card needs also move from old to new pve3

thank you for your help, i will migrate on this way

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!