Repartitioning after adding an additional disk

IanCH

Jun 6, 2017
Hi

I have a PowerEdge server with a Perc controller and 4 x 1Tb disks in a RAID5, Plus a hot spare.

Proxmox 5.3-1 all up set and running.

However I now need to add an additional 1Tb disk to the RAID.

From the Perc side of things that's all done. The Raid5 volume now has the 5 disks and the capacity of the raid volume is correct.

What do I need to do inside proxmox either at GUI or SSH level so proxmox can see the additional space?

When I do a pvdisplay on the server, I can see the following :
1. pv name /dev/sda3 (This is the one and only Raid array, as expected)

When I do a lvdisplay on the server, I can see the following :
1. lv name swap, lv path /dev/pve/swap
2. lv name root, lv path /dev/pve/root
3. lv name data
4. ln name pve, lv path vm-100-disk-0
5. ln name pve, lv path vm-100-disk-1
6. ln name pve, lv path vm-101-disk-0
7. ln name pve, lv path vm-101-disk-1

All in the vggroup called pve. The LV size is still showing the original size and not the new size, so I obviously need to do something, but what?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This seems like a basic LVM question. In case you do not understand how to do what I described below, please google it.

I would:
- create another (PV) partition on now bigger RAID device (sda),
- add that partition to VG,
- increase LV where I need the space.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!