Rename proxmox host by joining cluster

shalak

May 9, 2021
Hello! So back a while ago, I made a mistake of giving my proxmox server the hostname of "proxmox" as it would remain the only one proxmox machine in my house. That didn't age well and now I want to rename it. AFAIK, there's no such feature in proxmox itself, so I need to do full re-install.

Can I safely setup a cluster from another proxmox machine (let's call it proxmox-2 for the purpose of this topic), then move my VM from proxmox to proxmox-2, remove proxmox from cluster, reinstall it, add back to cluster, move the VMs back? Those VMs require hardware that's only connected to this particular proxmox host, I'd like to be sure before I start, that all the hardware will be detected properly, with the same /dev/ names, MAC addresses etc.

No need of full reinstall

1. Edit /etc/hosts with new name appropriately
2. Edit /etc/hostname file new hostname
3. Set new hostname to existing session also ( hostnamectl set-hostname <newhostname>
4. Restart the service in following order "systemctl restart pvestad" "systemctl restart pvedaemon" "systemctl restart pveproxy"

No need of full reinstall

1. Edit /etc/hosts with new name appropriately
2. Edit /etc/hostname file new hostname
3. Set new hostname to existing session also ( hostnamectl set-hostname <newhostname>
4. Restart the service in following order "systemctl restart pvestad" "systemctl restart pvedaemon" "systemctl restart pveproxy"

Thank you for your reply!

Are you 100% that those are the only places that contain the hostname? I remember reading some post mentioning that there may be more (like some HTML files created during install)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!