Removing nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server from proxmox host

macamba

Mar 8, 2011
I moving my NAS away from the proxmox host to a container. Therefor I am deleting samba, nfs-common, and nfs-kernel-server packages.
For Samba I used 'apt-get autoremove samba', which went fine.
For NFS I used 'apt-get autoremove nfs-common nfs-kernel-server', but it prompts me for the below:
1629375361313.png

Should I remove proxmox-ve as described or should I issue ''apt-get remove nfs-common nfs-kernel-server', i.e. use remove instead of autoremove, and thus not remove the 'unused' dependencies?

The simple answer - don't do it. The packages are part of PVE and by removing them you are going to get yourself in trouble.
If you think you really need to - stop the NFS service and forget about packages. There are many packages out there that depend on libraries that are part of other packages.
Obviously, the error you are seeing means that you are trying to use "auto" remove on essential system packages.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks, that's why I checked. Remove instead of autoremove should be fine than right?

These packages were installed by PVE, as you can see from the error there are explicit dependencies of the main PVE software on at least some NFS libraries.
Think of PVE as appliance - its a bad idea to remove any packages that come by default within the appliance.
Even if it works today, the appliance/PVE has not been tested that way, the upgrades may break, or some command that you haven't tried will stop working and start throwing an exception a month from now.

Again, if you really need to - disable the NFS service, unload the kernel module - record the steps you are doing as you may need to reverse them later...

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Based on one of the 6.x PVE server, nfs-kernel-server isn't pve depedency, bud nfs-common surely is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!