remove non-existant node

Backshift1516

Aug 18, 2023
Hello guys,

I did a little oopsie. I had a Cluster of 3 nodes that I decided to dissolve someday.
The Problem is, that I didn't properly remove the nodes from the cluster before removing them physically.
I watched some Youtube Tutorials and managed to remove the cluster with the config files and all, but I couldn't delete the second of my 3 nodes for some reason.

Some time has passed and it hasn't caused any Problems, but I thought I should remove it at some point.

Since there is no Cluster I also cannot remove the node
Bash:
root@pve1:~# pvecm nodes
Error: Corosync config '/etc/pve/corosync.conf' does not exist - is this node part of a cluster?
root@pve1:~# pvecm delnode pve2
Node/IP: pve2 is not a known host of the cluster.
root@pve1:~#

Any Ideas on how to solve this?

Appreciate any help

Attachments

• Proxmox.jpg
    Proxmox.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 8
Anything in either of these two folders?:
/etc/corosync
/var/lib/corosync
And is the node also removed from /etc/pve/nodes/pve2 ? (Do NOT empty out the /etc/pve/nodes folder, you'll break your main node too, but you should be able to (re)move the pve2 subfolder.)

Also take a look at the below in the section "Separate a Node Without Reinstalling" in there:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_remove_a_cluster_node

Reactions: Backshift1516
Anything in either of these two folders?:
/etc/corosync
/var/lib/corosync
And is the node also removed from /etc/pve/nodes/pve2 ? (Do NOT empty out the /etc/pve/nodes folder, you'll break your main node too, but you should be able to (re)move the pve2 subfolder.)

Also take a look at the below in the section "Separate a Node Without Reinstalling" in there:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_remove_a_cluster_node
The mentioned folders contain some files:
Bash:
root@pve1:~# ls /etc/corosync
authkey  uidgid.d
root@pve1:~# ls /var/lib/corosync
fdata  fdata-2023-07-15T15:07:00-965  ringid_1
root@pve1:~# ls /etc/pve/nodes
pve1  pve2  pve3
root@pve1:~#

interestingly all three still remain here

Ok, checking it with one of my own, non-clustered, servers, the /etc/corosync/uidgid.d folder exists, but is empty (and no authkey file), the /var/lib/corosync folder is empty, and the /etc/pve/nodes only contains the folder of that node.
So I would suggest to MOVE the following things to someplace else, check if everything still works, reboot, then check again (and then optionally remove those files/folders fully).
  • authkey-file
  • anything INSIDE of the uidgid.d folder (if anything)
  • the contents of the /var/lib/corosync folder (again, not the folder itself)
  • the pve2 and pve3 folders of the /etc/pve/nodes

You got some good suggestions above for fixing this in normal circumstances.
Follow all of that advice, but if it doesn't work ...

Check your cluster HA config. See anything weird there? Ghost machines maybe? Kill what ya can.

Then, On each node in the cluster, one after the other ...
systemctl restart pve-cluster
systemctl restart corosync

Ok, checking it with one of my own, non-clustered, servers, the /etc/corosync/uidgid.d folder exists, but is empty (and no authkey file), the /var/lib/corosync folder is empty, and the /etc/pve/nodes only contains the folder of that node.
So I would suggest to MOVE the following things to someplace else, check if everything still works, reboot, then check again (and then optionally remove those files/folders fully).
  • authkey-file
  • anything INSIDE of the uidgid.d folder (if anything)
  • the contents of the /var/lib/corosync folder (again, not the folder itself)
  • the pve2 and pve3 folders of the /etc/pve/nodes
It seems like this worked. I guess I will keep the copy of the files for now... just in case smth goes wrong.

Thank you for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!