Remote Windows 2012 P2V Conversion

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
I would like to convert a physical Windows 2012 R2 server to a KVM based VM. The difficult part is that the server is currently in a remote data center and I don't have local hands access to it. Therefore I need to be able to do a live copy over the internet to an image that I can be imported into Proxmox.

Anyone have suggestions on tools (either free or commercial) to accomplish this task?

Thanks!
Eric

If you can reboot the remote server using a virtual iso (using idrac or similar management) you could boot a clonezilla live CD and clone the server to your target vm. This means of course that you must get a working ssh connection between the two clonezilla instances.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE
Unfortunately, I cannot take the server offline for an extended period of time so am hoping to do a live copy of some sort. Any one have experience with Veeam backup for doing this?

Unfortunately, I cannot take the server offline for an extended period of time so am hoping to do a live copy of some sort. Any one have experience with Veeam backup for doing this?
Vmware converter can be used to migrate the machine and possibly other backup solutions like veeam but those will not make the switch so easy since they will not keep the both machines (source and target) in sync.

What is the server serving ? If the content on the server is not changing you could use any tool that can export the server while it is running. (Veeam, vmware converter and other) but if you also need to keep the changes to the source server in sync with the target it is a bit trickier. That's where the migration tools used by other platforms really shine. Both vmware converter and Nutanix migration tools can do that when migrating to those platforms. The opensource world really needs something similar that can be installed in a windows machine and clone and keep the target in sync until the switchover occur. In both vmware and nutanix this switchover can be automatic and the source may be shut down and in the nutanix case, the network card on the source will also be disabled to make sure it is not activated by mistake if the source is started again.

Vmware converter can be used to migrate the machine and possibly other backup solutions like veeam but those will not make the switch so easy since they will not keep the both machines (source and target) in sync.

What is the server serving ? If the content on the server is not changing you could use any tool that can export the server while it is running. (Veeam, vmware converter and other) but if you also need to keep the changes to the source server in sync with the target it is a bit trickier. That's where the migration tools used by other platforms really shine. Both vmware converter and Nutanix migration tools can do that when migrating to those platforms. The opensource world really needs something similar that can be installed in a windows machine and clone and keep the target in sync until the switchover occur. In both vmware and nutanix this switchover can be automatic and the source may be shut down and in the nutanix case, the network card on the source will also be disabled to make sure it is not activated by mistake if the source is started again.
The server is running sharepoint and some other web/database apps. I was thinking if I could get the system copied and running on proxmox and then re-sync the files / databases when it goes live.

Has anyone converted a Veeam backup to an image that can be imported into proxmox?

Eric

Hi,

in the migration guide that @Helle mentioned, there is a section about using VMware Converter. With that tool it should be possible to minimize downtime. Unfortunately, the section is a bit old already (tested with Converter v5, but there is already v6). I'm just updating a Windows installation to change that.

If you get a .vhdx, .qcow2 or raw image of your disk (which should be possible with the Converter), then importing that disk into a virtual machine in Proxmox VE should be relatively easy.
The qemu-img convert steps from the guide should then not be necessary. One call of qm importdisk is sufficient.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're still preparing for this, but I've found using a cloud-based backup provider (I won't mention the one I used because I don't want to be accused of shilling) that does bare metal restores will let you move without needing to boot to an image on the source side. If the site has a decent connection, you simply create the backup, boot a fresh VM using their recovery image, and restore to that as though it was hardware. Most providers don't support it and you may need to boot using ide controllers, install drivers, then change the controller but it will get the job done. If You're moving a domain controller or exchange keep in mind that can sometimes be a bit trickier. Also, you'll need to make sure everyone treats things as read-only until the job is done (nothing on the old server will get synced after the backup is taken) and you'll want some way to disconnect - turn off the old server when you go live with the restored version.

If it is a large backup and you need to keep things more or less in sync (for example, a TB sized db), there is a more roundabout way of doing it. Build a jumpbox with enough room to store a restored image. Lots of cloud providers will allow you to restore to a vhd. They'll also generally allow continuous back up and restore.. you can probably see where this is going. Do your intiial restore over a weekend, keep it up to date during the week, then go readonly on the source the Friday night. One last sync, then copy the file to your host, convert from vhd to qcow2 and do the driver shuffle. It'll be wonderful if one day backup provides will allow restoring to a KVM set up natively (https://meldco.dk/?Page=/Doc/History/doc/linux/virt-p2v-move-windows-to-linux seems like a decent start), but for now you can do it yourself if you're wiling to put in the work.

Not sure if you're still preparing for this, but I've found using a cloud-based backup provider (I won't mention the one I used because I don't want to be accused of shilling) that does bare metal restores will let you move without needing to boot to an image on the source side. If the site has a decent connection, you simply create the backup, boot a fresh VM using their recovery image, and restore to that as though it was hardware. Most providers don't support it and you may need to boot using ide controllers, install drivers, then change the controller but it will get the job done. If You're moving a domain controller or exchange keep in mind that can sometimes be a bit trickier. Also, you'll need to make sure everyone treats things as read-only until the job is done (nothing on the old server will get synced after the backup is taken) and you'll want some way to disconnect - turn off the old server when you go live with the restored version.

If it is a large backup and you need to keep things more or less in sync (for example, a TB sized db), there is a more roundabout way of doing it. Build a jumpbox with enough room to store a restored image. Lots of cloud providers will allow you to restore to a vhd. They'll also generally allow continuous back up and restore.. you can probably see where this is going. Do your intiial restore over a weekend, keep it up to date during the week, then go readonly on the source the Friday night. One last sync, then copy the file to your host, convert from vhd to qcow2 and do the driver shuffle. It'll be wonderful if one day backup provides will allow restoring to a KVM set up natively (https://meldco.dk/?Page=/Doc/History/doc/linux/virt-p2v-move-windows-to-linux seems like a decent start), but for now you can do it yourself if you're wiling to put in the work.
Yes, this is still on my never ending To Do list. If you wouldn't mind sending me a private message, I would be interested to learn the backup provider you are using so I can give it a try.

Thanks,
Eric

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!