Remote desktop and gpu pass-through.

targetthis

Jul 25, 2024
Hey guys! I'm extremely new to proxmox. I just installed it and struggled for about a week trying to get gpu pass-through to work but finally got it for a few days.... I was able to install windows and setup remode desktop then close my vm and reload into the remote desktop and download drivers and other things. A couple of days later I could no longer get in through pass-through. My vm would work and let be remote in if I disabled the gpu and opened my vm but would not recognize my remote attempts if I had the gpu enabled.

Hey guys! I'm extremely new to proxmox. I just installed it and struggled for about a week trying to get gpu pass-through to work but finally got it for a few days.... I was able to install windows and setup remode desktop then close my vm and reload into the remote desktop and download drivers and other things. A couple of days later I could no longer get in through pass-through. My vm would work and let be remote in if I disabled the gpu and opened my vm but would not recognize my remote attempts if I had the gpu enabled.

How does someone get help in the community?
Some volunteer needs to come along and recognize the issue from the title or simply have a look because there are no answers yet.

I have no experience with your problem, sorry. I assume you have already setup vendor-reset because of the reset issues of Vega GPUs. Maybe check if the problem also occurs with an Ubuntu VM (or just boot your VM with the Ubuntu installer ISO)? What changed during those "couple of days" that might be related?

I haven't setup the vendor reset because I was under the impression a hard power cycle will work to reset gpu. I can set that up but didn't want to waste time doing it if it's another issue. I'm planning on completely reinstalling proxmox tomorrow and starting over. If hard reset doesn't fix Vega gpu then I'm going to shoot my big toe off

First a sidenote with GPU + RDP:
By default RDP remote-desktop does NOT use the GPU, so even having it installed and working, if you use RDP, it will not perform. For that you'll need to change a couple of settings. [1]
Or if you use something that takes over the console/screen "directly" (as if you're sitting behind it on the proxmox console) would work too of course.

Also a question, in the time between that it worked and it having stopped working, did you shut down the VM without restarting the host (or press the reboot option in proxmox, as that is basically a shut-down-and-start, unlike the restart from within Windows)?
Also, is it just the remote logging in that doesn't work with the GPU unabled, or the entire starting of the VM, and/or looking from the proxmox console?

[1] https://help.idecad.com/ideCAD/graphics-card-acceleration-settings-on-remote-desk

It was just the rdp that wouldn't work. The vm would start and everything would seem fine but it wouldn't connect via remote desktop. It acted like it couldn't find that pc even though I could shut the vm down through the selection on proxmox to stop it, take the gpu out of the hardware menu, switch back from none to default on the display selection in hardware menu, start the vm and it would connect to that vm.

I find Window remote desktop products to all leave something to be desired. None of the different solutions are perfect. The built-in RDP server is always a little finicky for me. Meshcentral works, but is missing a ton of features. Some of the other products out there work well, but have dubious connections to seemingly shady third parties. And yet others are trying to lock you into expensive subscriptions. Ultimately, I found Chrome Remote Desktop to be the best compromise for what I need. But others might very well disagree and have very different preferences.

Suffice it to say that it makes a lot of sense to experiment with various remote desktop products until you find one that works for you. Wouldn't be surprised if that also affects how well the GPU is supported while remoting. I know it took me a while to get that to work well enough for my purposes and with my particular hardware.

The good news is that you can snapshot your Windows VM, make all sorts of crazy changes to try a new product, and then if it doesn't work out, you simply roll back to the old snapshot and try again. While testing different configurations, it can help to have multiple solutions enabled at the same time. This way, you can log in with one of them, while configuring the other one.

Last edited:
What's the best way to run DaVinci and fusion 360 from my server to whichever computer I'm on? I'm working with proxmox/windows vm only because I know windows and have 0 experience with Linux. If there is a better solution please let me know. I didn't get a chance to reinstall this weekend so if anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.

I reinstalled proxmox and went through the motions again to setup gpu pass-through with no success. I guess I will try again tomorrow.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!